Monday, July 18, 2005

The Challenge is Laid Down


So…this is how it all started. Sean sees two pictures titled 30andfat.jpg and sweatinoldie.jpg on my latest batch of Roystory.com pictures. He instant messages me something along the lines of “You aren’t old. Challenge yourself. Run a marathon with me.”. Well, clearly not thinking, and as usual not being able to turn down a challenge, I respond with a dopey “Ok.”

So, at 30 years old, I have exactly 4 months to train for the Philadelphia Marathon on November 20th. A bit of my running history: ______.


Ok, it’s not that extreme, I did run in the Chase Corporate Challenge 5k in 1999. Prior to that race I trained 2.2 miles a day for two whole weeks. To date, that is my longest stint of consistent running. Now, 6 years later, and 15 pounds heavier, I take on what is undoubtedly the greatest athletic challenge of my life. To be brutally honest, I have significant doubts in my ability to accomplish this goal, but I am going to give it everything I have and then some. Making the task more arduous, is the knowledge that Sean has been running competitively for about 10 years, and goes on 7 mile runs when he is bored. Worst case scenario is that I get in better shape and have fun trying. Best case scenario is that I tick another "life goal" off of the list.

We hope to convince Stephen to join the shenanigans but being that he just got married and bought a house, we aren’t sure that he can make the commitment THIS year.

No comments: